The war had changed San Pablo into a suburban city. The last dairy ranchers sold out to giant corporations, and the last farmers divided and sold their land for housing tracts.
The post-war community settled down to raise families. In the 1950s public works projects paved the streets, added sidewalks and installed streetlights. Playgrounds were opened, a hospital was built, Contra Costa College opened, shopping centers replaced wartime housing. Gambling was outlawed.
In 1976 San Pablo won the All America City Award for civic improvement projects.
Alvarado Square The Alvarado Square Civic Center opened in 1978 at the site of the 1845 Alvarado/Castro home. A replica of their adobe home was included in the new complex.
The Blume House was moved to the site. Both the Alvarado Adobe and Blume House are open to the public on Sundays. Admission is free.